Independent Presbyterian Church
The design team worked closely with the Church to restore and expand this historic downtown Birmingham icon destroyed by a fire
Gutted by a fire, the 16,600sf Parish Hall and dining facility of this landmark 1920’s church needed careful restoration to preserve its original character and design elements. The Church also saw an opportunity to renovate its 21,900sf Christian education building and add a new 37,000sf structure tying the buildings together and adding classrooms, offices, and banquet facilities for 300. Key issues included the tight urban site as well as cleaning the limestone masonry, window repair / replacement, and water tightness of the building envelope. A new central rotunda building and entry ties all three structures with a grand staircase that connects at all levels; and harmonizes with the Church’s existing gothic arrangement of spaces, massing and forms, detailing, and materials. The columbarium was expanded in a later phase.
Master Planning | Site Planning | Architecture | Interior Design | Historic Preservation
Hugh Thornton AIA | email@example.com
Intended to create connectivity between 3 separate buildings at different elevations, the grand central staircase has become the focal point where congregants meet and greet friends.