Linn-Henley Research Library
A former main library was restored and adapted to house special research collections
Built in 1927 as Birmingham’s main library and subsequently remodeled, the Linn-Henley Research Library now houses special historical collections, archives and manuscripts, and government documents. A comprehensive interior renovation revived the building’s classical order and decorative distinction while bringing all systems into compliance with current codes. Distinctive interior elements were restored, including re-marbleizing columns, reproducing the deteriorated Renaissance motifs on the beamed ceilings, and restoring period wall murals. New custom light fixtures were designed to mimic the original fixtures. A grand, classical limestone entry with exterior lighting created on the building’s west façade strengthened its relationship with the city’s main downtown park, while the street-side entry into the main reading room was removed and the wall re-faced.
Architecture | Interior Design | Historic Preservation
Hugh Thornton AIA | firstname.lastname@example.org
Embellishment of the west entrance strengthened the library’s presence on the city’s primary downtown park, which in effect became the library’s front lawn.