New meets old in a dramatic 4-story glass atrium
After a feasibility study and master plan for fundraising for this synagogue in downtown Birmingham, the program encompassed renovation and preservation of the original 1912 neoclassical sanctuary; a new 130-car parking deck; and replacement of a dated ancillary building with new education, administrative, and flexible banquet facilities. A new chapel and social room were added on the ground floor of the existing building. The new addition harmonizes with the historic structure while not attempting to replicate it. A dramatic new 4-story glazed atrium lobby joining the two buildings was a focal point of the project and is the Temple’s primary socializing space. Featuring a grand stair and projecting balconies, this light-filled atrium encapsulates the historic east façade of the original sanctuary building, highlighting its arched stained glass window and terra cotta frieze.
Master Planning | Site Planning | Architecture | Interior Design | Historic Preservation
Gray Plosser FAIA | firstname.lastname@example.org
Careful planning allowed the Temple to add 25,000sf and triple the parking on its constrained downtown Birmingham site.